$3 universal learning remote

View previous topic View next topic Go down

$3 universal learning remote

Post by Admin on Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:25 pm

Ok, I am using a very cheap "generic" tv converter box with PVR function. The downside to these is that they are dependent on their remote. You lose the remote, at best there is an on/off button and channel up button on box. You cant do a channel search or use the PVR or anything else at that point. There are no codes available. And no new OEM remotes available. If there were, greed means they would probably cost as much as an entire new box plus remote.

Ok, remote for my old box quit though box was fine. Off brand like most of these and it disappeared from market. Nothing I could do, so ordered a new off brand generic box. And one of these learning remotes off ebay to create a spare remote. Hey fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me... You can get one for less than $3 shipped if you are willing to wait on a slow boat from China. Yea exact same remote sold for $9 on Amazon.

Got it yesterday. Rainy day so put batteries in it and started programming it today. Instructions not the clearest, but its not rocket science. You push the TV button until solid yellow light comes on. Press button on the universal remote that you want to program and yellow light starts flashing. Now with this remote held half inch from the OEM remote, press function on OEM remote you want to program that key for. Yellow light goes solid again. Do next button and next, etc, until you get them all programmed. Bingo. Works great for my purposes and seems to have better range than the original when using it with my tv box.

Supposed to keep the settings even if you remove batteries, though I didnt try that. Anyway I will now remove batteries from original and put it into a drawer to use if this universal ever stops working.

As cheap as these are and as well as they work, I would truly suggest you make a backup of any remotes you have while the OEM remote still works. Truly a bargain though I suppose I should wait a year or so to actually brag.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://homesteadtinkerer.betaboard.net

Back to top Go down

Re: $3 universal learning remote

Post by Admin on Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:47 pm

I tested, it does keep settings when you remove batteries. Something when a universal remote is more pleasant to use the original remote.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://homesteadtinkerer.betaboard.net

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum